[Python-Dev] Documenting enum types

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:52:57 CEST 2014

On 14 August 2014 19:25, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IMO we should not document enum types because Python implementations other
> than CPython may want to implement them differently (ex: not all Python
> implementations have an enum module currently). By experience, exposing too
> many things in the public API becomes a problem later when you want to
> modify the code.

Implementations claiming conformance with Python 3.4 will have to have
an enum module - there just aren't any of those other than CPython at
this point (I expect PyPy3 will catch up before too long, since the
changes between 3.2 and 3.4 shouldn't be too dramatic from an
implementation perspective).

In this particular case, though, I think the relevant question is "Why
are they enums?" and the answer is "for the better representations".
I'm not clear on the use case for exposing and documenting the enum
types themselves (although I don't have any real objection either).

Regards,
Nick.