[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 28 21:03:21 CEST 2014

On Apr 28, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

>No -- stupid variable-width font!
>
>I don't think anyone should write code with variable width fonts, and I'd
>rather not do email that way either, but gmail is making it tough these
>days..

Ouch.  I'm sure it's gmail being "helpful" the way
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9> is similarly helpful.

>> Sure.  The PEP outlines ways to do that.
>
>not really -- it allows it:
>
># Aligned with opening delimiter.
>foo = long_function_name(var_one, var_two,
>                         var_three, var_four)
>
>but all the examples have more than one variable per line...my point is
>that I think that should be discouraged.
>
>i.e. I think the above should be:
>
># Aligned with opening delimiter.
>foo = long_function_name(var_one,
>                         var_two,
>                         var_three,
>                         var_four)
>
>(done with fixed-width font this time -- but it may not look right in your
>mail reader..)

Fortunately, my mail stack is sane. :)

>though I doubt there would consensus on requiring that -- but many of us
>learn more from examples than the specification, so maybe I'll submit a
>patch with an example like that.

I also very much doubt you'd get consensus on that as a requirement, and I
would oppose the PEP taking a stand one way or the other.  I'm not sure that
the PEP needs an example to illustrate its acceptability.

Cheers,
-Barry