[Python-Dev] API and process questions (sparked by Claudiu Popa on 16104

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Apr 28 20:43:05 CEST 2014

In article
<CA+OGgf4weBk1NsXBSqi1g7tDE-=7rfkzd5bZn1MXiHWSggECEQ at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Jim J. Jewett" <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Claudiu pointed out, processes=1 should really mean 1 worker
> process, which is still different from "do everything in the main
> process".  I'm not sure that level of control is really worth the
> complexity, but I'm not certain it isn't.

For regrtest, there is an important difference between "do everything in
the main process" and "do one test at a time in a subprocess", namely
the inadvertent global side-effects that running some tests have on
other tests.  The latter option is much safer and gives more
reproducible test results.  For compileall, I don't think there is a big
difference between the two cases such that the regrtest semantics need
to be followed.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org