[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Apr 26 06:50:07 CEST 2014

On Apr 26, 2014, at 12:31 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Florent writes:
>
>> I wrote some words in the documentation, one year ago, to explain what
>> is the purpose of the tool and its limitations. There's no claim of
>> any endorsement implicit or explicit by the PSF, the PSU or any other
>> python developer :-)
>
> Of course there is an implicit claim of endorsement: the name.  Read
> the TeX license -- pretty much the only restriction is *you can't call
> it "TeX" or any variation including that trademark if it doesn't pass
> TRIP*.  When Don Knuth cares that much that names denote conformance
> to standard, Nick is in really good company.

No there isn’t.

For instance there are things on PyPI named after websites, like github,
twitter, Facebook, etc. These things are not written by the companies
behind those websites and are merely written to interface with those
websites. Should we assume that those companies all endorse every
single one of those projects simply because they chose a descriptive
name for their project?

The name indicates what it attempts to do, create a PEP8 linter, it makes
no claim of endorsement by the authors of the PEP.

You can say it’s confusing if it’s named pep8 but doesn’t actually make it
“PEP8”, but claiming it’s endorsement isn’t correct.

> I agree 100% with Nick: in a program named "pep8", the examples in PEP
> 8 should *all* pass in the sense of not being labelled errors.  Of
> course if the PEP changes that doesn't mean you should withdraw or
> rename the program, or even that you are required to address the issue
> within any time span.  But you should consider it a bug.

Or required to address it at all if you don’t wish to.

Since the issue is still open I assume that means that the author
hasn’t decided what the correct remediation is yet.