[Python-Dev] pep8 reasoning

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:10:20 CEST 2014

On 25 April 2014 10:36, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>>And from *outside* of your organization, it's a no-brainer.  PEP 8 is
>>what Python itself and most 3rd party OSS modules use.  Getting your
>>people to use PEP 8 will make it a lot easier for them to learn to
>>read Python core and stdlib code, and once they start reading --- why,
>>the obvious next step is *contributing*.  Yay! ;-)
>
> And if you do deviate from PEP 8, I think it's quite helpful to publish a
> style guide outlining the deviations.  It helps others contribute to your
> project.  Of course, the first line of that style guide should be:
>
>     `PEP 8`_ is the basis for this style guide so its recommendations
>     should be followed except for the differences outlined here.

And if you're going to publish a tool to enforce your *personal* style
guide and include your own custom rules that the "this is OK" examples
in PEP 8 fail to satisfy, don't call it "pep8". Especially don't do
that if you're then going to ignore a core developer that calls you on
misappropriating python-dev's authority :(

Regards,
Nick.

P.S. https://github.com/jcrocholl/pep8/issues/256