[Python-Dev] Software integrators vs end users (was Re: Language Summit notes)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Apr 18 18:31:04 CEST 2014

Could I summarize that as "software integrators build from source, while
end users use an installer"? And the rest of the discussion is about which
installer (in the widest sense of the word) to recommend, where the choices
include Linux vendor distros, sumo Python distros, Mac/Win installers, as
well as fine-grained tools like apt-get (Linux vendor specific) and pip and
conda (Python specific)? And perhaps conda is pushing the boundaries
because it also tries to manage things that aren't strictly Python, but
useful for scientists?

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)