[Python-Dev] PEP 465: A dedicated infix operator for matrix multiplication

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 23:22:29 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>
wrote:

> > We can populate that struct with array-specific alternatives for
> > PySequence/PyMappingMethods and eliminate the need for dynamically
> > created array types to allocate those.
>
> Why would we want to do that?

I assume "that" means "create array types dynamically."  There are many
reasons to do that in modern array implementations.  See for example
ctypes.  A more practical reason however is that I
believe PySequence/PyMappingMethods are cloned whenever a subclass of a
sequence/mapping type is created.  For better or worse, subclassing of
numpy arrays is a popular sport these days.