[Python-Dev] PEP 465: A dedicated infix operator for matrix multiplication

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:52:58 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>wrote:

> > I believe this leaves only one open question, which is where exactly
> > to stick the new matmul slots into PyTypeObject. This is the kind of
> > fiddly detail that can easily be settled later if the PEP is accepted,
> > though.
>
> I don't see what it shouldn't be in PyNumberMethods. Surely, we're not
> going to get a flood of requests for more matrix operators, are we? :)

We may want to introduce say  PyArrayMethods even if we don't introduce more
array operators.  We can populate that struct with array-specific
alternatives for
PySequence/PyMappingMethods and eliminate the need for dynamically created
array types to allocate those.

There is also a way to introduce PyArrayMethods at no cost to current
implementation:
we can rename tp_reserved (formerly known as tp_compare) to tp_as_array.