[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 26 16:22:55 CEST 2013

Ideally people won't be typing either of them because it'll be installed automatically. They might in some cases (accidentally uninstalled pip?)

I agree that it seems there is paranoia going on here and that the risk is low and making it just be a special cased new feature is ok. However the point of the underscore prefix on 2.7 and 3.3 is to more effectively communicate that on these pythons you shouldn't rely on that module existing. I think that's worse situation then just making it ensurepip everywhere but better than 2.7 not getting it at all or Barry's suggestion.