[Python-Dev] Revert #12085 fix for __del__ attribute error message

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 09:17:02 CEST 2013

On 26 September 2013 16:53, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Sure, that's doable, but it dumps the full repr of "obj" in the middle
>> of the sentence. The thing that's not practical is the neat and tidy
>> wording Georg proposed, because the thing passed as "obj" is actually
>> an arbitrary Python object that may have a messy repr (like a bound
>> method, which is what gets passed in the __del__ case), so there's
>> definite merit in keeping that repr at the *end* of the header line.
>
> Then this should be fine, I guess?
>
> Exception caught and not propagated in: <....>

Sure. I still prefer something like "Could not propagate exception
from:" or "Caller could not propagate exception from <repr>" that
better indicates we're suppressing it because it's infeasible to raise
it rather than just because we feel like it, but any of them would
offer a decent improvement over the status quo.

Cheers,
Nick.