[Python-Dev] PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) ready for pronouncement?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 25 22:50:22 CEST 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 09:15 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>With the last round of updates, I believe PEP 453 is ready for
>Martin's pronouncement.

I want to raise an objection to PEP's proposal to add this as a new feature to
Python 2.7 and 3.3.  I understand the rationale as stated here:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0453/#id38

but I still object. ;)

I think we've learned it's generally pretty risky to add new features in point
releases, and this is a fairly major (and would be the first?) violation of
the principal of Python 2.7's conservative maintenance.

At the very least, I'd like to know why there's no other alternative.  For
example, you could provide a PyPI package with this functionality, and let the
binary packagers adopt it into their binary packages, for platforms that care.

So for example, Linux systems which start from the source tarball could opt
out (by doing nothing special) since there are other ways to achieve a similar
benefit.  For OS X and Windows users getting binary downloads from
www.python.org, I think it would be acceptable if the .dmg or .msi included
this external package.

Why does it have to be added to the source tree for stable releases?

Cheers,
-Barry