[Python-Dev] Use an empty def as a lambda

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 21:22:14 CEST 2013

When I say Python 4000, I don't actually mean Python 4.x, I mean the
next backwards-incompatible revision to Python (if it comes to pass).
My reasoning is that we use class to make classes, lambda to make
lambda functions, and def to make--well not defs--functions, which
doesn't really make sense to me.

Changing lambda to def would break compatibility as well and restrict
the grammar further.  In addition, it provides little foreseeable
benefit since the term def has no real meaning outside of Python,
whilst lambda has a clearly defined meaning.  Had the original C pro-
grammers chosen def in lieu of typedef or #def in lieu of #define, I
doubt that def would have been chosen as the keyword for functions in
Python.