[Python-Dev] PEP 453 Round 4 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 15:58:58 CEST 2013

On 19 Sep 2013 23:43, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 September 2013 14:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> > Major changes:
> >
> > * Removal of the option to fetch pip from PyPI in order not to modify
the trust model of the Python installers
> > * Consequently rename the model from ``getpip`` to ``extractpip``
>
> If extractpip (I agree, I don't like the name, installpip is better)
> only ever unpacks the bundled pip, and it's always run, why bother?
> Why not just bundle pip directly into site-packages? The extra step
> seems to add little or no value.

It's not always run - it's opt-out for the Windows and Mac OS X installers
and not invoked implicitly at all if installing from source. The bootstrap
also needs to be available for use by "venv".

There's also the significant fact that python-dev still has a blanket ban
on externally maintained standard library modules (for good reasons) and
the clear separation between the bootstrap module and pip itself is what is
allowing this proposal to adhere to that guideline.

Cheers,
Nick.