[Python-Dev] Compiler for the Mac OS X version of Python 3.4

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 21:44:17 CEST 2013

I was exercising the alpha two release of 3.4 and noticed that
it is still being built under GCC 4.2.1.

Is there any reason we have to use an old compiler?

I would like to see it built under the latest version of Clang
(like the other tools on the Mac) or under GCC 4.8.1.
I've better using the latter for many months.  It works great
and produces *much* better code (in terms of readability
for those of us who look at assembly output and in terms
of speed (approx 20-25% better for cpu bound code)).

I'm wondering whether is some issue that forces us to use
GCC 4.2.1 or whether that is just an artifact of continuing
to do what we've always been doing.

Raymond