[Python-Dev] Offtopic: OpenID Providers

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Sep 10 09:21:28 CEST 2013

On 9/6/2013 10:22 AM, Dan Callahan wrote:
> On 9/5/13 12:31 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>> I have big hopes for Mozilla Persona, looking forward
>> Python infrastructure support :).
>
> Hi, I'm the project lead on Persona signin, and I spoke at PyCon
> earlier this year regarding why and how Mozilla is building Persona.
> If you'd like some more background, that video [0] is worth a look.
>
> Let's pull this discussion up a level:
>
> It sounds like many people (Jesus, Donald, Toshio, Barry, Tres,
> Dirkjan, etc.) are interested in seeing Persona on Python.org
> properties, and most of the objections coming from a place of "Persona
> hasn't gone viral, what if this is wasted effort?"

OK, let's pull this discussion down a level: testing it out.

So I tried to login to the crossword.thetimes.co.uk -- I used an email
address persona had never seen, it asked me for a password, and sent me
a confirmation message, containing a link that I clicked on.

However, as I was reading clues and filling in blanks, I got a popup
that said "login failure [object Object]". And crossword told me it was
saving locally, and to login to save to the server. And the Log in
button stayed displayed, rather than a Log out button, which I assume it
might get replaced with if I ever get successfully logged in.

Firefox 23.0.1, Windows 7 64-bit with autoupdates. Need any other info?
Write me privately if you want the email address I used (not the one I
use here), or the password. I used new ones, so I can share for testing,
and then discard them and use different ones "for real". If the system
actually works. Hey, the video demos looked great...

Glenn