[Python-Dev] PEP 447: add type.__locallookup__

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Mon Sep 9 23:18:38 CEST 2013

On 09/09/13 15:30, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 11:17 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> And something I forgot to ask: is anyone willing to be the
>> BDFL-Delegate for
>> PEP 447?
>
> *Bump*.
>
> It would be nice if this could make into 3.4.

IMO, there are some issues that need to be addressed before PEP 447
should be accepted.

1. Is there even a problem at all, or is this just a bug in super?
Why doesn't super() respect the __getattribute__ method of the superclass?

2. Is this the best way to solve the problem (if there is a problem)?
Would a __super__ special method be sufficient and less intrusive.

3. Are the proposed semantics OK?
I think they are, but very low level changes such as these can have
unforeseen consequences. For example, PEP 3135 and issue 12370.

4. What is the performance impact. pybench really doesn't count as a
benchmark.

5. Other implementations. What do the Jython/IronPython/PyPy developers
think?

Cheers,
Mark.

p.s.