[Python-Dev] PEP 450 adding statistics module

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Sep 9 05:43:59 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 12:26:05PM +1200, Greg wrote:
> On 9/09/2013 5:52 a.m., Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >Well, to me zip(*x) is unnatural, and it's inefficient when the arrays are
> >long.
>
> Would it be worth having a transpose() function in the stdlib
> somewhere, that returns a view instead of copying the data?

I've intentionally left out multivariate statistics from the initial
version of statistics.py so there will be plenty of time to get feedback
from users before deciding on an API before 3.5.

If there was a transpose function in the std lib, the obvious place
would be the statistics module itself. There is precedent: R includes a
transpose function, and presumably the creators of R expect it to be
used frequently because they've given it a single-letter name.

http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/t.html

--
Steven