[Python-Dev] Completing the email6 API changes.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 2 09:06:53 CEST 2013

>> OTOH, if the message is structured
>>
>>      multipart/related
>>          multipart/alternative
>>              text/plain
>>              text/html
>>          image/png
>>
>> the receiver can infer that the images are related to both text/*
>> parts and DTRT for each.

>With the images being treated as attachments. Or is there a syntax to
>allow the text/html to embed the images and the text/plain to see them
>as attachments?

I believe the above is that syntax.  But the standard doesn't say
anything about this.  The standard for multipart/alternative is RFC
2046, which doesn't know about multipart/related.  RFC 2387 doesn't
update RFC 2046, so it doesn't say anything about
multipart/alternative within multipart/related, either.

>I think the text/html wants to refer to things within its containing
>multipart/related, but am not sure if that allows the intervening
>multipart/alternative.

I don't see why not.  But it would depend on the implementations,
which we'll have to test before recommending the structure I
(theoretically :-) prefer.e