[Python-Dev] Updated PEP 454 (tracemalloc): no more metrics!

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 18:44:58 CEST 2013

> When I was looking for memory leaks in the regex module I simply wrote
all of the allocations, reallocations and deallocations to a log file and
then parsed it afterwards using a Python script. Simple, but effective.

He he, it's funny because you described exactly my first implementation of
tracemalloc! I wrote output using fprintf() into a text file. The parser
was written in Python but too slow to be used it in practice. When running
on the slow set top box, it took minutes (5 maybe 10) to analyze the file.
Transfering the file to a PC took also minutes: the file was very large
(maybe 1 GB, I don't remember) and SimpleHTTPServer too slow for the
transfer.

Victor