[Python-Dev] Submitting PEP 453 (pip bootstrapping) for pronouncement

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 20:26:23 CEST 2013

On 13 October 2013 13:43, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Accordingly, in addition to adding the option to extract and install ``pip``
> during installation, this PEP proposes that the Windows installer (and
> ``sysconfig``) in Python 3.4 and later be updated to:
>
> - install scripts to PythonXY\bin rather than PythonXY\Tools\Scripts
> - add PythonXY\bin to the Windows PATH (in addition to PythonXY) when the
>   PATH modification option is enabled during installation

Then implication of this is that venv (and virtualenv, but that's less
relevant to python-dev) should be updated to use a "bin" directory on
Windows rather than the current "Scripts" directory. This would only
be for 3.4, which means that virtualenv will need to make the
directory name conditional on version, I guess.

Paul.