[Python-Dev] Right place for PBKDF2 wrapper

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat Oct 12 23:31:21 CEST 2013

Am 12.10.2013 23:04, schrieb Gregory P. Smith:
> agreed with any of these three.

I'm going for hashlib.pbkdf2_hmac() for now. Right now it's just one
function. We can always add a new module for a high level interface later.

> that also makes sense...
>
> I'd leave hmac.py around through at least 3.6 but going ahead and moving
> the implementation into hashlib in 3.4 makes sense.

That gives us the opportunity th provide a faster implementation based
on OpenSSL's HMAC API http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/hmac.html . I'm
also tempted to provide a fast one-shot-wonder function that returns the
MAC as bytes: hmac(name, key, value) -> result

Christian