[Python-Dev] Support keyword in PEP URL?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Oct 12 08:16:05 CEST 2013

Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> writes:

> 2013/10/12 Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>:
> > Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> For draft PEP, the identifier may change.

Note that this isn't a matter of the PEP being draft; once a PEP has a
number, it deserves an official URL and (if I understand you correctly)
a keyword.

Then, *after* those official designations are associated with that PEP,
another PEP can come along and be a better candidate for the same
keyword.

What use is a unique keyword-to-PEP mapping if it's not leading to the
PEP most clearly associated with that keyword?

> I would not be shocked if http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-enum/
> link is updated from the PEP 354 to the PEP 435, especially if both
> PEPs are draft.

On the other hand, what use is a keyword-to-PEP mapping if it isn't
reliably going to persist over time?

> Identifiers should be carefully chosen, "unicode" is maybe not the
> best identifier for a PEP for example (they are many PEPs related to
> Unicode).

Right. I don't think it makes sense to have a keyword limited to exactly
one PEP.

> Hum, how are PEP numbers generated? PEP *354* and *435* for enum?
> These numbers are not very random. We should check our PRNG :-)

They're not random; they're sequential for the most part, IIUC.

--
 \        “The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the |
  `\                   spirit of society and leads to its intellectual |