[Python-Dev] PEP 457: Syntax For Positional-Only Parameters

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:07:36 CEST 2013

On 9 October 2013 15:53, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> My goal in writing the PEP was to codify existing practice, which meant
> reflecting these (annoying!) corner cases accurately.

That's fair. But I would argue that we very much don't want to
encourage anyone ever duplicating that practice with new functions,
which is why I don't think that this syntax should ever be implemented
in the form described in Python. OTOH, there *may* be reasons in the
future for wanting to support positional-only syntax in Python - that
design should not be constrained by the need (which is Argument Clinic
specific, AIUI) to cater for existing builtins' practice.

Paul