[Python-Dev] PEP 457: Syntax For Positional-Only Parameters

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Oct 9 15:56:49 CEST 2013

On 10/09/2013 07:15 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
> We have quite a large
> amount of C functions with positional-only parameters.  Adding a "/"
> to each of those is a) a tedious task and b) probably not helpful for
> a lot of people:

I volunteer to ensure that the "/"s are added if this PEP is accepted.
(I expect I'd do it myself, but who knows, maybe a volunteer would
appear out of the woodwork.)

> ...  and the "undefined" singleton just smells wrong.  Another way
> to spell "None" is just asking for trouble.

It has to be a different value from "None", for the same reasons that
all those other different-spellings-for-None (e.g.
inspect.Parameter.empty) exist.

I realize you are -1 on the proposal in general, but I'd be very
interested if you could propose an alternate approach where I didn't
need "a new spelling for None" as you put it.

//arry/