[Python-Dev] Optimization

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Oct 5 22:11:43 CEST 2013

Am 05.10.2013 21:42, schrieb Serhiy Storchaka:
> Please remember me, what was common decision about CPython-only
> optimizations which change computation complexity? I.g. constant
> amortization time of += for byte objects and strings, or linear time of
> sum() for sequences?

This appears to be about changeset 499a96611baa:

  Issue #19087: Improve bytearray allocation in order to allow cheap popping of
data at the front (slice deletion).

I think the best way to describe the CPython strategy is that we don't like to
optimize things that both have an idiomatic solution already (see str.join) and
can't be replicated easily in other implementations.

cheers,
Georg