[Python-Dev] py.ini documentation improvement

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Nov 29 04:55:54 CET 2013

Nick Coghlan writes:

 > Turning my Windows gaming machine back to the default settings and
 > trying to bootstrap pip was one of the key things that got me
 > motivated to work on PEP 453. It still astounds me that one company
 > can both create Visual Studio, *and* make it difficult to configure a
 > machine to be suitable for software development, but I guess that's
 > enterprise companies for you :)

Those of us who study management for a living are definitely not
surprised.  I recommend Robert Townsend's "Call Yourself Up" from _Up
the Organization_: he advises CEOs to ring up the company's toll-free
number and find out what the customers deal with.  Urk!

This is the "same s---, different dept", that's all.  And it's a lot
harder to avoid than most folks think.

Kudos to Nick for "calling himself up", to python-dev for creating a
language and development ecology with so few unnecessary barriers, and
to Guido for setting the tone!