[Python-Dev] py.ini documentation improvement

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 01:06:24 CET 2013

On 29 November 2013 10:59, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 11/28/2013 5:35 PM, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
>

>> Quoting Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>:
>>
>>  'Two .ini files will be searched by the launcher' sort of implies to
>>> me that the files exist. On my Win7 machine, echo %LOCALAPPDATA%
>>> returns C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local. If I go to Users/Terry with
>>> Explorer, there is no AppData. (Same with admin user.)
>>>

> I initially intended to write "there is no AppData *visible*". Then I
> switched to my win7 admin account and there was still no AppData visible,
> for any user. This is unlike with XP where things not visible to 'users'
> become visible as admin.

By default in Win7 AppData is a hidden folder - you need to go to  Tools |
Folder Options | View | Show hidden files, folders and drives to see it in
Explorer (no matter what user you're logged in as).

If the py.ini location does become defined in terms of %LOCALAPPDATA% then
suggesting to use that value in the Explorer address bar would probably be
the easiest way for people to get to the correct directory.

Tim Delaney