[Python-Dev] potential argparse problem: bad mix of parse_known_args and prefix matching

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Nov 26 18:53:07 CET 2013

Eli did give his use case... a front end for a program that has a
parameter "--sync", and a front end preprocessor of some sort was trying
to use "--sync-foo" as an argument, and wanted "--sync" to be left in
the parameters to send on to the back end program.

Design of the front-end might better be aware of back end parameters and
not conflict, but the documentation could be improved, likely.

It might also be possible to add a setting to disable the prefix
matching feature, for code that prefers it not be done. Whether that is
better done as a global setting, or a per-parameter setting I haven't
thought through. But both the constructor and the parameter definitions
already accept a variable number of named parameters, so I would think
it would be possible to add another, and retain backward compatibility
via an appropriate default.