[Python-Dev] buildbot's are needlessly compiling -O0

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun Nov 24 08:13:32 CET 2013

our buildbots are setup to configure --with-pydebug which also
unfortunately causes them to compile with -O0... this results in a python
binary that is excruciatingly slow and makes the entire test suite run take
a long time.

given that nobody is ever going to run a gdb or another debugger on the
buildbot generated transient binaries themselves how about we speed all of
the buildbot's up by adding CFLAGS=-O2 to the configure command line?

Sure, the compile step will take a bit longer but that is dwarfed by the
test time as it is:

http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/AMD64%20Ubuntu%20LTS%203.x/builds/3224
http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/ARMv7%203.x/builds/7
http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/AMD64%20Snow%20Leop%203.x/builds/639

It should dramatically decrease the turnaround latency for buildbot results.

-gps