[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 22 13:47:11 CET 2013

Am 22.11.13 10:00, schrieb Richard Tew:
> That there are people who would consider using the trademark to force
> us to change the name we've been using without harm for 14 years,
> worries me.  It's one thing to perhaps use it to stop someone scamming
> Python users, and another to suggest using it as a weapon against us
> for this?  Really?

Unfortunately, Christian's original question was unclear. If his plan
had been to release "Python 2.8" (as his original question suggested),
then he would have faced quite some opposition (and, in a sense,
releasing a "python28.dll" is quite close to that).

IMO, calling it "Stackless Python 2.8" is fine, and I also believe that
this complies with the current trademark policy. The objective of this
policy is to give Python companies equal choices in naming their
products, i.e. nobody would be allowed to call something "Python"
without further qualification (except for the traditional CPython
release).

Regards,
Martin