[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:32:48 CET 2013

On 22 November 2013 19:00, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're not talking about releasing a Python 2.8 against anyone's wishes
> here.  Or in _this specific case_, doing anything other than naming
> something in a way we've been naming it for over a decade.  Yet it's
> reached the point where people are alluding to ways to forcibly stop
> us.

Every previous case was a simple matter of "this is the Stackless
variant of Python X.Y". The difference in this case is that there is
*no* Python 2.8 (and a PEP stating explicitly that python-dev have no
intention of creating one) to create a variant, so this would have
meant the Stackless community taking the novel step of creating a new
feature release of Python 2.x, and hence taking up the burden of
defining the feature set of that release.

A few folks overreacted in their concern about the community confusion
such a move would inevitably create - *anything* called "Python 2.8"
is going to give the impression that we've changed our mind about 2.7
being the last feature release in the 2.x series, even if it has the
word Stackless in front of it.

We can almost certainly resolve the Windows ABI issue without the
Stackless community needing to take such a drastic step, though, so I
for one greatly appreciate Christian raising the question here and
giving us the opportunity to help out.

Regards,
Nick.