[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 00:07:05 CET 2013

On 21 November 2013 21:27, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> That's already the unstated case. But besides stackless, it some of us are
> advocating that there be python.org-provided binaries built with a newer
> compiler (eventually, anyway).

I see no problem with python.org producing and distributing a
VS2010-compiled version of Python 2.7 (subject to python-dev being
willing to do so of course). But in order to do so, it would be
necessary to address the issue of having multiple ABIs within one
minor version on Windows. As you say, that's just a matter of doing
things like enabling the ABI tag in wheel, making the necessary
distutils changes (don't forget that distutils validates the MSVC
version in use) and whatever other things I've forgotten about.

It's by no means impossible, but nor is it trivial to do it "right".

On the other hand, as Monty Python would say, "2.8 is right out" :-)

Paul