[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Thu Nov 21 13:51:45 CET 2013

Am 21.11.2013 12:31, schrieb martin at v.loewis.de:
> That sounds doable. If we provided a "python2.dll", would could make the
> header files using the "restricted API" by default if Python is compiled
> with VS 2010. Extension builders could then regularly compile their
> extensions with VS 2010, or VS 2013, despite Python itself being linked
> with the VS 2008 CRT.

What about the CAPI functions like PyFile_FromFile() and PyFile_AsFile()
that take a FILE* as argument? Or functions like PyErr_SetFromErrno()
that use the errno thread local variable? These function will either
crash or not work properly with mixed CRTs. Every CRT has its own errno
TLS, so Python won't see the errno of a CRT100 function like open(2),
see http://bugs.python.org/issue15883 .

I don't understand how a stable Python ABI solves the issue of unstable
CRT ABIs. Are you planning to address these issues?

Christian