[Python-Dev] PEP 428 - pathlib - ready for approval

Garth Bushell garth at garthy.com
Wed Nov 20 13:25:20 CET 2013

I've noticed in pathlib.py the following error on line 39

if sys.getwindowsversion()[:2] >= (6, 0) and sys.version_info >= (3, 2):

it should be:-

if sys.getwindowsversion()[2:] >= (6, 0) and sys.version_info >= (3, 2):

I'm also quite uneasy on the case insensitive comparison on Windows as the
File system NTFS is case sensitive.

"""Current Windows file systems, like NTFS, are case-sensitive; that is a
readme.txt and a Readme.txt can exist in the same directory. Windows
disallows the user to create a second file differing only in case due to
compatibility issues with older software not designed for such
operation."""  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_sensitivity)

If people create .PY files it wouldn't work on Linux so why make it work on
windows?

Cheers

Garth

On 19 November 2013 22:06, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:02:15 -0500
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Guido has told me that he was ready to approve PEP 428 (pathlib) in its
> > latest amended form.  Here is the last call for any comments or
> > arguments against approval, before Guido marks the PEP accepted (or
> > changes his mind :-)).
> >

> Is 'ext' going to exist with 'suffix'? Seems redundant (I'm guessing the
> example is out-of-date and 'ext' was changed to suffix).
>
> And a very minor grammatical thing: "you have to lookup a dedicate
> attribute" -> "dedicated"

Thanks. Both errors are now fixed.

Regards

Antoine.