[Python-Dev] What's the story on Py_FrozenMain?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Nov 16 18:55:35 CET 2013

On 16.11.2013 18:48, Eric Snow wrote:
> While looking at something unrelated, I happened to peek at
> Python/frozenmain.c and found Py_FrozenMain().  I kind of get the idea
> of it, but am curious what motivated the addition and who might be
> using it.  The function is not documented and doesn't have much
> explanation.  I'm guessing that not many are familiar with it (e.g.
> http://bugs.python.org/issue15893).
>
> FWIW the function was added quite a while ago (and hasn't been touched
> a whole lot since):
>
> changeset:   1270:14369a5e61679364deeae9a9a0deedbd593a72e0
> branch:      legacy-trunk
> user:        Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
> date:        Thu Apr 01 20:59:32 1993 +0000
> summary:     Support for frozen scripts; added -i option.

It's used as main()-function for frozen Python interpreters.

See eGenix PyRun as an example and the freeze tool in Tools/freeze/
for the implementation that uses this API:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 16 2013)
2013-11-19: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  3 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/