[Python-Dev] Bilingual scripts

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue May 28 23:52:43 CEST 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 12:17:49 -0400, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 05/28/2013 11:41 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
> > I have the same complaint about setuptools entry-point scripts, where
> > I still haven't figured out how to go from what is in the file to the
> > code that actually gets called.
>
> Hmm, just dump the 'entry_points.txt' file in the named distribution's
> EGG-INFO directory?  E.g.:
>
>  $ cat bin/pip
>  #!/path/to/virtualenv/bin/pythonX.Y
>  # EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT: 'pip==1.3.1','console_scripts','pip'
>  __requires__ = 'pip==1.3.1'
>  import sys
>  from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
>
>  if __name__ == '__main__':
>      sys.exit(
>          load_entry_point('pip==1.3.1', 'console_scripts', 'pip')()
>      )
>
>  $ cat
> lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pip-1.3.1-pyX.Y.egg/EGG-INFO/entry_points.txt
>  [console_scripts]
>  pip = pip:main
>  pip-X.Y = pip:main

I'm afraid I'm still not enlightened.

I'm sure I would understand this if I had ever set up an entry point,
since I would have had to read the docs on how to do it.  But I never
have.

So, my point is that the information on what python code is actually being
called ought to be in the stub script file, as a comment if nothing else,
for discoverability reasons.

I'm not bothered enough to work up a patch, though :)

--David