[Python-Dev] Structural cleanups to the main CPython repo

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 28 16:26:11 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> 28.05.13 16:07, Nick Coghlan написав(ла):
>>
>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Sounds fine (I don't like "Apps" much, but hey :-)).
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know any other short word for "things with main
>> functions that we ship to end users" :)
>
> main

IIRC, the reason I avoided that originally was due to the potential
confusion between C's main and Python's main.

I don't know why I didn't think of Fred's suggestion of "Programs" - I
think that contrasts nicely with Modules, so I'd like to run with
that.

Cleanly separating out the main functions affected the PEP 432 feature
branch directly because the whole point of that PEP is to make all of
them simpler by moving more of the relevant code into the shared
library.

However, I really *don't* want to dive into the seemingly random
allocation of some things between the Python/ subdir and the Modules/
subdir . If there's a consistent pattern there, I think it may be lost
somewhere back in the 20th century, as I've never been able to figure
one out...

Cheers,
Nick.