[Python-Dev] PEP 443 - Single-dispatch generic functions

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri May 24 00:40:12 CEST 2013

On 24/05/13 02:56, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 23 May 2013 17:00, Walter Dörwald <walter at livinglogic.de> wrote:
>
>> Should it be possible to register multiple types for the generic function
>> with one register() call, i.e. should:
>>
>>     @fun.register(int, float)
>>     def _(arg, verbose=False):
>>
>> be allowed as a synonym for
>>
>>     @fun.register(int)
>>     @fun.register(float)
>>     def _(arg, verbose=False):
>>

> No, because people will misread register(int, float) as meaning first
> argument int, second float. The double decorator is explicit as to what is
> going on, and isn't too hard to read or write.

I don't think that they will. Being able to register multiple types with a single call reads very naturally to me, while multiple decorators still looks weird. Even after many years of seeing them, I still get a momentary "What the hell...?" moment when I see two decorators on one function. That's only going to be increased when both decorators are the same (apart from the argument). The double decorator form above looks to me as weird as:

x = func(a)
x = func(b)

would. I have to stop and think about what is going on, and whether or not it is a mistake.

So I am a strong +1 on allowing multiple types to be registered in one call.

--
Steven