[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7.5

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 00:48:06 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I just installed Python 2.7.5 64-bit () on a Windows 7 64-bit OS computer.
 When I evaluate sys.maxint I don't get what I was expected.  I get this:

Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:44:16) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
on win32
>>> import sys
>>> sys.maxint
2147483647
>>> import platform
>>> platform.machine()
'AMD64'
>>> import os
>>> os.environ['PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE']
'AMD64'

 Should I not get a 64-bit integer maxint (9223372036854775807) for
sys.maxint ?

Or is there something I am missing here?

Thanks!

/ Pierre Rouleau

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> Am 16.05.13 10:42, schrieb Ben Hoyt:
>
> > FYI, I tried this just now with Python 2.7.4 running, and the
> > installer nicely tells you that "some files that need to be updated
> > are currently in use ... the following applications are using files,
> > please close them and click Retry ... python.exe (Process Id: 5388)".
> >
> > So you can't do it while python.exe is running, but at least it
> > notifies you and gives you the option to retry. Good work, whoever did
> > this installer.
>
> This specific feature is part of the MSI technology itself, so the honor
> goes to Microsoft in this case. They also have an advanced feature where
> the installer can tell the running application to terminate, and then
> restart after installation (since Vista, IIRC). Unfortunately, this
> doesn't apply to Python, as a "safe restart" is typically not feasible.
>
> FWIW, I'm the one who put together the Python installer.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

/Pierre