[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (venv) - why does it copy the DLLs on Windows

Tim Delaney tim.delaney at aptare.com
Sat Mar 23 20:54:40 CET 2013

On 23 March 2013 23:55, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:57:02 +0000
> Richard Oudkerk <shibturn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, couldn't hard links be used instead of copying?  (This will fail
> > if not on the same NTFS partition, but then one can copy as a fallback.)
>
> Hard links are generally hard to discover and debug (at least under
> Unix, but I suppose the same applies under Windows).

(Slightly OT, but I think useful in this case.)

That's what the Link Shell Extension <
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html> is for.

Makes it very easy to work with Hardlinks, Symbolic links, Junctions and
Volume Mountpoints. It gives different overlays for each to icons in
Explorer (and Save/Open dialogs) and adds a tab to the properties of any
link which gives details e.g. for hardlinks it displays the reference count
and all the hardlinks to the same file.

There's also a command-line version - ln <
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ln/ln.html>.

Highly recommended.

Tim Delaney