[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Thu Mar 21 11:08:33 CET 2013

On 20 March 2013 23:53, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I also note that in the last few weeks, I've seen at least two instances
> that I recall of a beginner on the tutor at python.org mailing list being
> utterly confused by Python's Unicode handling because the Windows command
> prompt is unable to print Unicode strings.

It can be worst than that - in i18nes Windows installs, the DOS Prompt sometimes
have a different encoding than the Windows running -  for example, for
pt_BR Windows, all UI apps run using latin1, but the CP uses a CP850 encoding
which generates _different_ characters for the same codes.

As someone who form times to times lecture a introductory workshop of
Python to people running Windows, I second Terry's long message - and
I highlight
Raymond's """ Without IDLE, a shocking number of people would
create Python files using notepad. """

   js
  -><-