[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 07:34:37 CET 2013

Am 21.03.2013 00:47, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:11 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:05:40 -0700
>>Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, the status quo of Idle is not something we should allow to
>>> continue indefinitely, but decisions about its future development
>>> should be made by active maintainers that are already trusted to make
>>> changes to it (such as Terry and Roger), rather than those of us that
>>> don't use it, and aren't interested in maintaining it.
>>
>>Definitely. People shouldn't remain quiescently torpid about the idle
>>status quo.
>
> The release managers should have a say in the matter, since it does cause some
> amount of pain there.

I don't really understand what Antoine's "quiescently torpid" means, but
splitting IDLE out to a separate repo and then merging it back every time
a release rolls around sounds stupid.

Either split it off completely or develop it here (my preferred solution).
It's really not that hard to get CPython commit bits.

Georg