[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 04:54:25 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 3/20/2013 12:41 PM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
>
>  Personally, I think that IDLE reflects badly on Python in more ways than
>> one. It's badly maintained, quirky and ugly.
>>

> Ugly is subjective: by what standard and compared to what?

Compared to other existing Python IDEs and shells which are layered on top
of modern GUI toolkits that are actively developed to keep with modern
standards, unlike Tk which is frozen in the 1990s.

> I suggested in my previous response why I think 'badly maintained' is
> untrue and/or unfair. Dismissing the recent work that has been done does
> not help.

I did not intend to dismiss your work Terry, and I'm sorry if it came out
this way. You know that I also contributed bug fixes to IDLE in the past so
I'm not a complete outsider. I see the value of IDLE being distributed with
Python. However, especially in view of the recent developments in the area
of alternative Python implementations, I think it's important to clearly
mark the boundaries between things that belong in the core CPython code
repository and things that don't.

> There are 20 open issues with smtp(lib) in the title. It is 37 kb, making
> .54 issues per kb. For idlelib, with 786 kb, there are 104 issues, or .13
> issues per kb, which is one fourth as many. I could claim that smtplib,
> based on 1990s RFCs is much worse maintained. It certainly could use somee
> positive attention.

You know better than I do that the number of open issues is not really the
only factor for determining the quality of a module.

Eli