[Python-Dev] How to fix the incorrect shared library extension on linux for 3.2 and newer?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 20 22:36:48 CET 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 01:18 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>The patch in the issue now makes a distinction between EXT_SUFFIX and
>SHLIB_SUFFIX, and restores the value of SO to SHLIB_SUFFIX.  Now this could
>break users of sysconfig.get_config_var('SO'), however I don't see a better
>way than to restore the original behaviour and advise people to use the new
>config variables.

It should probably be considered a bug that we changed the meaning of SO in
PEP 3149, but I don't think anybody realized it was being used for both
purposes (otherwise I'm sure we wouldn't have done it that way).  I suppose
Georg should make the final determination for 3.2 and 3.3, but the solution
you propose seems about the best you can do.

As we discussed at Pycon, you'll post a diff to the PEP in the tracker issue
and I'll commit that when I figure out the best way to indicate that a PEP has
been updated post-Final status.

-Barry