[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Xavier Morel python-dev at masklinn.net
Wed Mar 20 21:50:33 CET 2013

On 2013-03-20, at 20:59 , Brian Curtin wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Xavier Morel <python-dev at masklinn.net> wrote:
>> That would be a blow to educators, but also Windows users: while the CLI
>> works very nicely in unices, that's not the case with the win32 console
>> which is as best as I can describe it a complete turd, making IDLE a
>> very nice proposition there (I never use IDLE on Linux or OSX, but do
>> all the time in Windows).
>
> Can you explain this a bit more? I've been using the CLI python.exe on
> Windows, Mac, and Linux for years and I don't know what you're talking
> about.

Windows's terminal emulator (the "win32 console")'s deficiencies don't
break it for running existing script, but make using it interactively a
rather thankless task, at least as far as I'm concerned: no readline
keybinding (e.g. C-a & C-e), very limited scrollback, fixed width,
non-handling of signals (C-d will simply print ^D, a syntax error),
odd copy behavior (rectangle copies *only*), etc…