[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 21:00:35 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Xavier Morel <python-dev at masklinn.net>wrote:

> On 2013-03-20, at 20:38 , Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
> > On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> >> Agreed that the "sync into stdlib" think should not happen, or should at
> >> best be a temporary measure until we can remove idle from the source
> >> tarball (maybe at the 3.4 release, otherwise at 3.5).
> >
> > Right.  Ultimately, I think IDLE should be a separate project entirely,
> but I
> > guess there's push back against that too.
>
> The problem with it is, well, that it's a separate project so unless it
> is still packaged in (in which case it's not quite separate project,
> just a separate source tree) it's got to be downloaded and installed
> separately.
>
> That would be a blow to educators, but also Windows users: while the CLI
> works very nicely in unices, that's not the case with the win32 console
> which is as best as I can describe it a complete turd, making IDLE a
> very nice proposition there (I never use IDLE on Linux or OSX, but do
> all the time in Windows). It also provides a rather capable (and in many
> case sufficient) code editor for a platform which lacks any form of
> native text editor allowing sane edition of code.
>
> Installing the Python windows packages and having everything "work" (in
> the sense that you can immediately start writing and running python
> code) is — I think — a pretty big feature.

FWIW, I specifically suggested that IDLE still gets packaged with Python
releases for Windows. This shouldn't be hard, because IDLE depends on
Python rather than the other way around. Packaging is not what I'm against.
Maintaining this project's source within the Python core *is*.

I would be interested to hear Martin's opinion on this, as he's producing
the Windows installers.

Eli

P.S. other Python distributions like ActiveState already bundle additional
projects with their Python releases (pywin32 if I'm not mistaken).