[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 17:41:53 CET 2013

Interesting writeup about PyCon 2013 young coder education:
http://therealkatie.net/blog/2013/mar/19/pycon-2013-young-coders/

Quote:

"We used IDLE because it's already on Raspian's desktop. Personally, I like
IDLE as a teaching tool. It's included in the standard library, it does tab
completion and color coding, and it even has a text editor included so you
don't have to start your class off by teaching everyone about paths.

Too bad it's broke as hell."

Personally, I think that IDLE reflects badly on Python in more ways than
one. It's badly maintained, quirky and ugly. It serves a very narrow set of
uses, and does it badly.

Being part of Python *distributions* and being part of core Python standard
library are two different things. The former may make sense, the latter
IMHO makes no sense whatsoever. Outside the Python core IDLE can be
maintained more freely, with less restrictions on contributors and
hopefully become a better tool.

Eli