[Python-Dev] Recent changes to TextIOWrapper and its tests

Jeff Allen "ja...py" at farowl.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 21:26:05 CET 2013

I'm pulling recent changes in the io module across to Jython. I am
looking for help understanding the changes in
http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/19a33ef3821d

That change set is about what should happen if the underlying buffer
does not return bytes when read, but instead, for example, unicode
characters. The test test_read_nonbytes() constructs a pathological text
stream reader t where the usual BytesIO or BufferedReader is replaced
with a StringIO. It then checks that r.read(1) and t.readlines() raise a
TypeError, that is, it tests that TextIOWrapper checks the type of what
it reads from the buffer.

The puzzle is that it requires t.read() to succeed.

When I insert a check for bytes type in all the places it seems
necessary in my code, I pass the first two conditions, but since
t.read() also raises TypeError, the overall test fails. Is reading the
stream with read() intended to succeed? Why is this desired?

Jeff Allen