[Python-Dev] VC++ 2008 Express Edition now locked away?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 14 18:46:22 CET 2013

Am 07.03.13 09:53, schrieb Steve Dower:

>> This may be fine for building extensions, but it appears that more
>> instructions are needed for a novice to build python itself.
>
> I'm not even sure that these variables are necessary - certainly
> without the compilers installed setup.py looks in the right place for
> them. I'll try this as well.

Setting MSSdk shouldn't be necessary, as vcvars should already have set it
(unless that changed in recent SDKs). Setting DISTUTILS_USE_SDK is
necessary as a protection to avoid unintionally picking up the wrong
build tools.

As for distutils finding them automatically: this only works for finding
VS installations. It is (AFAICT) not possible to automatically locate
SDK installations (other than by exhaustive search of the disk).

> As for the documentation, I'd be happy to provide an update for this
> section once I've checked out that everything works.

I think it should explain to to invoke msbuild, in addition to
explaining how to plug old compilers into new IDEs.

Regards,
Martin