[Python-Dev] VC++ 2008 Express Edition now locked away?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 18:16:28 CET 2013

On 2013-03-06 16:55, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico, 06.03.2013 17:30:
>>>
>>> That's the point where I'd start looking at peer-to-peer downloads.
>>> These sorts of things are often available on torrent sites; once the
>>> original publisher starts making life harder, third-party sources
>>> become more attractive.
>>
>> May I express my doubts that the license allows a redistribution of the
>> software in this form?
>
> Someone would have to check, but in most cases, software licenses
> govern the use, more than the distribution. If you're allowed to
> download it free of charge from microsoft.com, you should be able to
> get hold of it in some other way and it be exactly the same.

Sorry, but that's not how copyright works. The owner of the copyright on a work
has to give you permission to allow you to distribute their work (modulo certain
statutorily-defined exceptions that don't apply here). Just because you got the
work from them free of charge doesn't mean that they have given you permission
to redistribute it. If the agreements that you have with the copyright owner do
not mention redistribution, you do not have permission to redistribute it.

IANAL, TINLA.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."